Middle School (7th to 9th Grades)
7th – 9th Grades: Coming of Age
As youth prepare to leave childhood, participants will explore theology, spirituality and history through discussion, drama, music, writing and art. Guided by individual mentors of the youths’ choosing, youth will be able to define their beliefs and put their faith into action. The program culminates in the writing of a Credo statement, and a Coming of Age service. This program alternates every other year with Our Whole Lives.
2020-2021 COMING OF AGE PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Coming of Age is a year-long program that recognizes the passage of youth into the beginnings of adulthood through the articulation of personal beliefs and values. The program consists of the following:
- Mentorship of each participant with an adult who will guide and partner with them through the program
- Presentations on Unitarian Universalist beliefs, history, and other topics with mentors to the group
- Small, monthly assignments that ask participants to explore beliefs, values, and personal backgrounds, and may include interviews of congregants and/or family members
- Group organization and completion of 1 – 2 service projects
- Group organization of 1-2 social events
- The completion of a personal Credo statement
- Presenting of the Credo statement for graduation with parents and mentors
- Presenting of the Credo statement in the Coming of Age Sunday service, designed by participants and mentors
7th – 8th Grades: Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education
Honest, accurate information about sexuality changes lives. It dismantles stereotypes and assumptions, builds self-acceptance and self-esteem, fosters healthy relationships, improves decision making, and has the potential to save lives. For these reasons and more, we are proud to offer Our Whole Lives (OWL), a comprehensive, lifespan sexuality education curricula for use in both secular settings and faith communities. This program alternates every other year with Coming of Age.
*All minors are required to be registered to participate religious education classes and events; please visit our registration form here.